"In God We Trust' first appeared on United States coinage in 1864 with the minting of the Two Cent Piece. The Two Cent Piece was designed by James B. Longacre and was first minted in 1864 at the Philadelphia Mint. The Obverse displays a shield and a banner reading "In God We Trust." The reverse shows a wreath encircled by the words United States of America and the denomination 2 cents in the center of the coin. The coin is composed of .950 copper and has a diameter of 23mm. The Two Cent Piece is sometimes called, "the most Gothic and the most expressive of the Civil War" coins. The First Year of Issue 2 Cent Piece 1864 comes in a collector's display box with a Certificate of Authenticity.